Author: Sauce Recipes
- ½ pint of black coffee
- 1 oz. Demerara sugar
- 1 tablespoon of cream
- 1 dessertspoon of arrowroot
- pinch of salt
- 1 egg yolk
- Mix the arrowroot with a very little water to form a stiff paste.
- Place the coffee, sugar and salt in a saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Add the paste to the liquid, stirring well to ensure the paste mixes evenly with no lumps.
- Cook at boiling point for 3 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly from the boil, then add the cream and the beaten egg yolk.
- Serve hot, but note: DO NOT let the sauce boil after the egg has been added!