Author: Sauce Recipes
- ½ pint of green gooseberries
- 1 oz. butter
- 1 dessert spoon of granulated sugar
- a little water
- ½ gill of cold water
- ½ teaspoon of arrowroot
- Wash, then top and tail (cut off the stalk and little brown bit at the other end) the gooseberries.
- Put the berries, the gill of cold water and the sugar into a saucepan.
- Simmer until the gooseberries are very soft.
- Pour the mix through a sieve and rub the berries until they pulp and go through the mesh.
- Return to the heat and bring to the boil.
- Whilst the mix is heating up, mix the arrowroot with a little water to form a paste.
- Add the arrowroot paste to the boiling gooseberry liquid.
- Stir well and cook for 2 minutes
- Add the salt and pepper, and the butter just before serving.
- It’s a good sauce to go with meat and fish.