Author: Sauce Recipes
- ½ pint of milk
- ¼ gill of cream
- 1 small onion
- small piece of carrot
- half stick of celery
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 peppercorns
- 1 oz. flour (or ½ oz. corn flour)
- 1 oz. butter
- Place the bay leaf, peppercorns, vegetables and milk into a saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Remove from the heat and allow to stand for 5 minutes.
- Strain the milk to remove the solid ingredients.
- Use the milk, flour and butter to make a basic white sauce.
- Add the salt and cream just before serving.